Thursday 5 January 2012

Making money go further...

So in my last blog I mentioned I'm planning travels later this year. 3 or 4 weeks of travel to far flung destinations isn't cheap. With today being a late start at work I've had opportunity to look at my finances.

Well I made a start...

A lot of filing (starting with refiling the stuff on the floor, then the stuff on the side, maybe tomorrow I'll make it into my drawer of stuff 'to file').

Spent ages trying to find the renewal for my breakdown cover, which I know is for more than I'm willing to pay given my current level of car usage is dropping, however found out it's still at my parents, so will have to wait to deal with that.

Being self-employed, I have the January Joys of an online self-assessment to complete. So I got a few more details into that. Sufficient for them now to do a calculation. Knowing I was overtaxed in my PAYE work this year, I was hoping it might balance out the tax on my self-employed work and student loans repayments that are due. Sadly it doesn't. I've still to enter a few more bits, which will reduce what's owed by a little. Still wish I hadn't left it so late to put everything in, like every year!

On the plus side,  I found two £10 notes among my receipts and the receipt I've been meaning to claim from work worth £50. Woo...

But despite that, it's clear if I want my money to take me around the world, I need to be a bit more careful with what I waste my money on (so less take out and more home prepared food...)


No comments:

Post a Comment