Tuesday 17 January 2012

There's a voice...

One of my notes from the weekend is:

How can you have a gifting in hospitality without a home?

I don't know if I mean that as a question with potential for an answer or more of a challenging statement.  I am suspecting it is the latter, although I am open to people coming back to me with answers if you have one or more.

Where I am staying at the moment is as a lodger in someone's home. The initial arrangement was for two weeks, it's lasted 20 months so far. While I have freedom to come and go and make use of communal areas, I don't feel I have the freedom to have friends or family visit. In fact my parents don't even know where I live, and have to send post to my workplace.

Through my early 20s I was blessed by the hospitality of friends at many of the churches I attended. I knew that I would not be able to repay this hospitality to those that had offered it to me, so I resolved to do so when I was in the position to offer it to others in the future. The growth of a community of 20s and 30s within my current church is spurring a desire to hospitalise* the young people of this group.

I don't know what the future holds in this regard, there's been some interesting conversations about options for places to live, that hopefully will enable hospitality. Moving into a new place in this town will require a commitment to staying here for a certain amount of time, and for other reasons I'm not sure I'm ready to make that commitment to this town...

More thought and prayer needed...

( * - I imagine that this isn't the right word. But I hope you recognise I do not mean cause them injury, but to show hospitality to them).


No comments:

Post a Comment