Tuesday 10 March 2009

Smart (Price) Shopping...

Yesterday I had a days work, quite physical day, having had a pretty quiet week. I have a big scratch on my arm, and more suspicious marks and scratches dotted on my person...
I had a break of a few hours, and wasted an hour of it by trying to beat the next train to the next station on foot, missing the train (which is hourly on Sundays) and managing to fall into mud rather spectacularly. I had about an hour at home after I walked back and showered and rinsed my shorts, before I had to head back. To tail off a pretty physically demanding day, I cycled back in the cold. I got into bed, and laid there for a while, struggling to return to a sensible temperature. I ended up dragging out my sleeping bag.

Today was pretty much a write-off, spent the day on the sofa with a duvet and e4, really nice and has to happen occasionally, but I can't allow myself too many of those. This evening was house group, and we looked at 'lost things' in Luke 15.

House group night is the usual shopping night for me. The local 24-hour ASDA being in the same part of town. I'm having a bit of an issue with food, the eating and buying of it. With my finances being in poor health, I do have to be careful with how much I spend on everything, including food. I have though managed to develop that into a mentality that I have to suffer in my eating, I think some of that is punishing myself for wasting excessive money on food (e.g. take outs and dining out) previously. Last week I was so determined to not spend money that I did a weekly shop for £2.43. It bolstered the existing contents of my fridge and cupboards enough for most the week, but didn't make for a nutritionally strong menu by the end of the week. Maybe that's why I got so run down after yesterday.
This was in my mind when in Asda this week, and so spent a little more. Yes it was still largely white and green packaging on the conveyor belt ( aside: also take a look at this ), but I had a basket full of stuff rather than just three items. I conciously made sure I had protein and sugar, as well as quick-win and snack foods, as I'm aware that these are the things that will help me keep going.
Sadly unable to get the veg I was after though. The veg aisle was cordoned off for some lighting maintenance, so I was unable to pick up carrots or potatoes. I was also after a bag of value peppers, thankfully they reside in another aisle, sadly they weren't in stock though. Anyway, perhaps I shall take the opportunity to check out the market in town.
So today's total was £11.82, and has hopefully given me some more sensible and nutritious options for the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment